I think blogs are a great tool for libraries to use to create:
- News bulletins - like the ACU blog
- Build specialised collection dedicated to a particularly topic - like the Yarra Plenty Library local history blog
- An online space for book reviews and discussions on literature - like the Scotch Collage library blog
- An area to share professional development with library staff - like the Bundoora Library staff blog
- A way to update people on the progress of special projects or services the library might have as ongoing activities - like the National Library of Australia blogs
- A way to get people who don't usually come to the library participate and share via a library hosted blog - like the State Library of Victoria blog
Blogs are an ideal tool for these purposes because the are easy to complied and navigate, allow for long posts where necessary, allow for the inclusion of video or images, can be authored by multiple people, use tags or labels and archive facilities to enable searching via subject and can be followed by readers using RSS feeds or email.